Granular Audience Exclusion Strategy Drives Revenue at Scale
ColourPop is an American cosmetics brand with the mission of offering high-quality, cruelty-free makeup products at wallet-friendly prices. ColourPop maintains this business model by designing, manufacturing, testing, and packaging its products at its LA headquarters, while selling directly to the consumer via its retail website, ColourPop.com. A select line of ColourPop products are also sold in ULTA Beauty retail stores and on ULTA’s website. ColourPop has been recognized as an innovative, trendy brand in the budget beauty category, and continues to expand its product portfolio with bi-weekly launches.
ColourPop needed a social advertising strategy that leveraged ad units capable of highlighting their eye-catching products and packaging; Facebook had proven the most successful channel for ColourPop to drive new customer acquisition as well as repeat purchases from existing customers. To continue to scale their revenue while maintaining their target ROAS, ColourPop needed a more robust strategy that could support its high frequency of product launches while establishing a consistent, long-term testing framework. Supporting bi-weekly product launches presented a number of complexities:
- New products needed adequate visibility without competing with evergreen campaigns
- Frequent in-stock or out-of-stock changes required agility
- Multiple product lines presented a variety of remarketing audiences which would overlap with prospecting segments unless reconfigured
Rise suggested a three-part strategy for a long-term, scalable Facebook campaign approach.
New Campaign Structure and Process to Balance Launches with Evergreen Winners
- Rise tested a large catalog of ColourPop’s products using Dynamic Product Ads to identify top converting product lines that were consistently in-stock and developed evergreen campaigns to support those products.
- ColourPop’s expanding upper-funnel would be targeted in ColourPop’s launch campaigns. Each bi-weekly product release was assigned a unique launch campaign, including a variety of creative tactics to highlight each product in the collection, and tailored targeting based on the specific theme of the collection. This consistent and structured campaign strategy would allow for visibility of a wider range of product offerings, while allowing Facebook’s Campaign Budget Optimization (CBO) to most efficiently allocate the budget among audiences, placements, and ads.
Consistent Creative Testing Framework with Applicable Insights
- Within each campaign, Rise implemented a structured testing process using a variety of ad types and creative content, with a granular measurement strategy to determine the most effective tactics per product type. By leveraging this data, Rise found that new ad types such as instant storefronts worked both to encourage engagement with users and to shorten the path to purchase.
Savvy Audience Targeting and Exclusions to Maximize Efficiency
- Audience testing, including lookalike and broader platform audiences focused on expanding prospecting efforts, while refining retargeting with thoughtful exclusions to minimize overlap. To avoid ads competing against each other, Rise developed a waterfall exclusion strategy starting with lowest-funnel audiences to ensure our remarketing audiences are exclusively seeing bottom-of-funnel creative designed to drive conversions.
Increase in AOV
Increase in Revenue
Increase in Prospecting ROAS