Increasing Site Engagement with Customer-First UX
American Lung Association
American Lung Association, founded in 1904, is the leading non-profit for respiratory health. They are determined to lead the fight in helping Americans breathe freely through advocacy, research, and education.
American Lung Association had specific needs for every aspect of the website redesign project—from page design to SEO to user experience—to support its vision: a world free of lung disease. This meant accomplishing multiple milestones in the project:
- Constituent groups from a variety of locations and with unique needs should be represented in the site’s content.
- The site needs to display the vast amount of research and resources available in an easy-to-access, streamlined way.
- The content management system needs to be modern, scalable technology that empowers internal stakeholders.
- Branding and imagery need to represent American Lung Association’s stature and reputation in the industry.
To improve the customer experience of the website, Rise developed a comprehensive four part strategy:
- Serve constituents through streamlined interfaces: There are numerous reasons an individual could visit American Lung Association’s website, and a common pain point of their users was not being able to find the content they wanted in the old website. To ensure that the new site was easy to navigate, Rise's SEO and UX team worked together to reorganize the site’s structure and navigation. They conducted a deep-dive audit of the entire site to see what pages netted the highest traffic, and then adjusted their strategy to protect these pages’ organic traffic as they performed content migration.
- Empower internal stakeholders to update and control content: Another difficulty that stakeholders at American Lung Association were facing with their old website was the inability to update, maintain, and control their content. Rise decided to replatform their website to Kentico due to its speed, modernity, and ease of use. With this platform American Lung Association stakeholders would be able to edit important content on their website, such as events, a lot faster.
- Communicate values and reputation: At the beginning of this project American Lung Association was rolling out their first rebrand in one hundred years. It was critical for Rise to leverage this rebrand in the visual aspects of the new website. Our design team worked to develop a website that not only reflected the values of the non-profit, but would resonate with their audience for years to come. The final concept was memorable, motivating, and ultimately more representative of the current organization.
- Provide a hand in building a healthier world: This project was and is more than just numbers to the Rise team. When we worked alongside American Lung Association, we did not just help build a better digital experience, rather we were helping make a difference in people’s lives. For American Lung Association, a better customer experience with their website means more people can access information about lung disease and join the fight to end it. We are honored to have provided a hand in building a healthier world with American Lung Association.
increase in Users from Organic Traffic
increase in Conversions across all Goals, including Donations
second decrease in Page Load Speed